Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Cookies Anyone

As a child, two of my favorite cookies were my mother's "Dad's Cookies" and my grandmother's "Soft Molasses Cookies". While I have made my mother's cookie recipe numerous times over the years with great success, I could never turn out a molasses cookie to measure up to my memory Grammie Wile's Soft Molasses Cookies. I think I am missing an important ingredient
...the wood stove!

My mother's recipe:

 

...but not my mother's Dad's Cookie!

 

Expanding waistlines have necessitated some revisions to the basic recipe...we could just resist eating cookies period, but what's the fun in that...so I made some changes to cut down a little on the fat and sugar, making them a little healthier. 

Dad's Cookies
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1/4 c. applesauce
1 c. brown sugar 
1 c. sugar replacement (I used Compliments) ***
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1\2 tsp. salt
1\2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. coconut
2 c. rolled oats (I used the old fashion kind)
2 Tbsp.ground flax seed
1/2 c. dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar replacement. Add eggs, apple sauce and vanilla and mix together. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until combined. Roll dough into balls, place on a cookie sheet and flatten balls with a fork dipped in milk. Or...you can be lazy like me and just drop the dough from a spoon onto the cookie sheet and press down with a fork.  Bake for 12 minutes or until slightly browned. Remove from cookie sheet a cool onto a rack.

*** You are supposed to be able to replace sugar measure for measure using this product but don't. I find it leaves an after taste but using it to replace half the sugar called for in a recipe works fine.





No comments:

Post a Comment